[Paraview] Xdmf/HDF5 access during a long run?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:22:01 EDT 2008

Hello,

So far we have just used Xdmf/HDF5 and ParaView to view data from
small runs on a single machine, where we generate a time series as the
simulation progresses by appending snapshots of the data to the same
HDF5 file. As we work towards larger simulations (on a cluster) which
will run much longer, my collaborators are wondering whether we will
be able to view any of the data before the whole run is over? This
could be a snapshot of the current state, or the ability to animate
the data up to the most recent time step, and it wouldn't have to be
an auto-update, as in "Animating Live Data" (although they would like
this ability, too :).

Do any of you have experience checking on your Xdmf/HFD5 data while
it's being generated? And, if so, are there any special tricks to it?
(I know I had trouble reading an HDF5 file one time that I hadn't
closed properly, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues
regarding whether the file is closed between writes, but I don't know
if there are other issues, too.)

Thanks for the help,
-Eric