[Paraview] Calculator speed

Tobias Brandvik tbrandvik at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:58:41 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've written a CFD solver that uses Paraview in parallel mode with
hdf5/xdmf. Currently, the application writes out the primary variables
and lets the user calculate any desired secondary variables using the
calculator. However, this procedure is very slow -- it seems to be an
order of magnitude faster to calculate the data in the solver itself
and have Paraview read it from disk. I suspect this is because the
calculator expressions get translated to python code, but I might also
be doing something wrong.

Am I correct in thinking that the easiest way to fix this would be to
write a custom filter in C++?

Cheers,
Tobias

--