[Paraview] Problems with Writer

Rafael March rafaelmarch3 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 13:31:17 EDT 2008

Hey all,

I've already sent an e-mail about this problem, but I'll detail it better.

I'm trying to extend Paraview so that it can write an unstructured mesh to a file in a specific format, which I call nds. The logic of writing into it is already programmed, and seems alright.

Well, I am able to build the project of the plugin and generate the dll so that I can load it with Paraview. When I click to save a model, I see the option to choose my extension. BUT...when I click OK to perform the operation, I get a windows-like crash in paraview: "Paraview is not responding...". Windows Vista lets me debug the program (as I'm working with visual studio 2005), and when the IDE opens, it shows me the following message:

Unhandled Exception at 0x05572bcb (vtkServerManager.dll) in paraview.exe
0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000

The problem is actually in the vtkSMStringVectorProperty class, in the method setElement, in the statement:

unsigned int numElems=this->GetNumberOfElements();

As I was able to get the writer of the "Examples" Folder to work, I suspect that the problem is really with my writer, specifically in my writers.xml file. Had the model of this file change ultimatelly ? I'm asking this 'cause I've already used this plugin in another version of Paraview.

I'm sending attached my writers.xml file.

Thanks in advance !

Rafael March.