[Paraview] custom filter?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Thu Sep 4 09:35:54 EDT 2008

Custom filter mechanism is designed to be used to combine a sub-pipeline
into a single filter (or source) (with all the a paramter settings for
each of the individual filters/sources) exposing a subset of the
parameters to the user.

Eg. Here's my pipeline:
Sphere -> Shrink --> "Extract Edges"

Suppose we want to combine the Shrink-->ExtractEdges into a new custom
filter "ShrunkEdges".

* Select the Shrink and the Extract Edges filter in the pipeline browser
(use Ctrl key for multiple selections).
* With the two filters selected, go to Tools menu and choose "Create
Custom Filter"
* The "Create Custom Filter" wizard will show up.
* First give our filter a new name. This name must be unique and if
conflicting an error message will be shown. We are calling this one
"ShrunkEdges" (step1.png). Then click "Next".
* We now choose what are the inputs to the custom filter that the user
can set. By default, paraView will find the first filter in the
sub-pipeline (in this case "Shrink") and expose it's "Input" property as
the input to this custom filter. Since that's exactly what we want here
(step2.png), click "Next".
* Next we need to choose the outputs from this filter. By default,
paraview will choose the last filter in the subpipeline (in this case
'ExtractEdges'. Let's say we want this custom filter to have two
outputs, the output after the shrink stage as well as the one after
extracting edges. ExtractEdges is already exposed as an output, we now
expose the shrink filter as well. Select the "Shrink" in the left-side
tree. It's output ports will be shown the "Output Port" combo. Choose
the output port (relevant if the filter itself had more than 1 output
ports), the assign it some unique name, say "ShrunkOutput" then press
"+" to add it to the exposed outputs list (step3.png).  Click "Next".
* Next we expose the subset of parameters on this custom filter that the
user can change at run-time. Let's say we want to allow the user to
change the "Shrink Factor" on the shrink filter. Select the "Shrink"
filter in the tree and then select the property to expose in the
"Property" combo, assign it some name (or use the default) and the hit
"+" to expose it (step4.png). Once all required properties are exposed,
click "Finish" to create a definition for the custom filter.

The "Custom Filter Manager" will popup showing the newly defined custom
filter. The manager is also available under the "Tools" menu. It can be
used to remove/export/import custom filters.

Close this dialog.

Now to instantiate our new custom filter, simply look under the
"Filters|Alphabetical" menu, we see our new "ShrunkEdges" filter. Now
you can create it simply as if it were a normal filter.

Same is true with sources, if no input property is exposed, it's treated
as a source and is available under "Sources" menu.

Utkarsh