[Paraview] Building a plugin that works with Mac binary distribution

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 3 14:06:13 EST 2008

Funny, I was betting how long it would take before someone asked just
these same questions.

The short answer is, Yes, it _could_ be done.

The long answer is, well, long..

In order to compile/link against the binary distribution you need to
first have the exact same Xcode version that Kitware's Qt and ParaView
were compiled with.

Next you need all the headers from ParaView (which I am not sure if
those are included in the binary distribution or not).

Next you will need to have a project where when you compile your
plugin against all the libraries that are within the binary
distribution.

If you compile your plugin as a MODULE and NOT SHARED then you should
be good to go at this point. You will need to copy your plugin to the
ParaView 3.4.0.app/Contents/Plugins directory and see if it loads.

What would be nice is if there were some cmake files included with the
binary distribution that allowed all this. As of yet, there isn't
anything like this so you are into brand new territory.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net