[Paraview] atom/particle data in Xdmf

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Jun 18 14:13:48 EDT 2008

Hey Dan,

I look at data which are time series simulating cells swimming around
in a 3D volume, so maybe it's similar enough (although I think your
data sets are much larger than mine).

The grid should have a TopologyType="Polyvertex", and then for me, my
data sets are saved with the positions of the cells in an nCells x 3
array for x,y,z, so I use GeometryType="XYZ". My Xdmf files are a bit
strange because I use hyperslabs to split up an nCells x 4 array by
column into four separate scalar arrays.

Here's an example with five time steps, which are all stored in the
same HDF5 file (not attached). You can see that after the first few
time steps the number of particles changes with each time step in this
case.

Maybe someone else can advise you the best way to get all your ASCII
data into HDF5. I would probably use a Python script and the PyTables
package (which makes accessing the HDF5 easy) to convert the data
since I've had good luck using it to go the other way (from HDF5 to
other formats) when needed. I also use this combination to generate
my .xmf files since my collaborators just dump out HDF5 directly and I
need to build the XML file afterwards to get it all into ParaView.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group