[Paraview] windows build can not read appended image (VTI) data

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jun 11 09:39:06 EDT 2008

Server Levent Yilmaz wrote:
> To discover (for it was undocumented) that a 4 byte number of elements
> should precede each record and should be a BIG ENDIAN integer regardless
> of the endianness of rest of the binary data was quite a thrill (to say
> the least!).

Where did you see this?  It's most certainly wrong.  The byte order of
the count should match that specified by the "byte_order" attribute of
the VTKFile element.  I see that the files you posted are using big
endian order for that number even though the file says they are
LittleEndian.  It's just luck that the file reads anywhere.

> What is it with this data format?

Writing with anything but the VTK-provided writer was not a design goal.
 That's it's not really documented.  It's also why we provide C, C++,
and Fortran interfaces to the writer so that people can link to VTK
instead of using their own home-grown writers.

-Brad