[Paraview] registry file?

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:07:40 EDT 2008

Ok, I can see that thought process, but users of each OS are used to
the way _their_ Operating system works. Having their preference file
located in a "non-standard" location is a "surprise" to the user and
does not make for a nice user experience. Having said that I do agree
that if an operating system's preference system can not handle the
data that is needed to be stored then that needs to be changed, but
why punish all operating systems for one's failure? As a "normal" OS
X user that is using ParaView, I would _expect_ my settings to be
stored in ~/Library/Preferences or _Maybe_ ~/Library/ParaView or
_possibly_ ~/Library/Application Support but NOT in .config/blah/blah/
blah. So the old argument comes up, what is "consistent". Should the
app adapt to the platform or should the user adapt to the App? I
would vote for the app to adapt to the platform. The support issues
would be _less_ because users can help themselves because they _know_
instinctively where to look for application settings.

I'll leave it alone as there is nothing more I can say or debate.

Everyone have a great day. :-)

Peace.
Mike Jackson