[Paraview] questions

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Jun 4 08:25:45 EDT 2008

> I am starting to evaluate paraview for a project and I am curious
> about a few things:
>
> File formats:
>
> Does the vtk ascii format support unicode data set names?  If it
> doesn't, is there a format that does?

I am afraid that you will find VTK (the underlying computing layer of
ParaView) and ParaView lacking quite a bit in supporting anything but
ASCII. Can you elaborate a bit more what you need? Do you need the
whole user interface to support unicode or just the dataset names? And
what do you mean by "dataset name"? Names of the field variables?

> Solution data on 2D meshes:
>
> Does paraview allow you to display the magnitude of the solution data
> as the third dimension?  If this is a filter, what is it called?

You mean like a carpet plot?

-berk