[Paraview] replacement for ProbeLocationOverTime filter?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Wed Jun 4 07:19:49 EDT 2008

Julian Cummings wrote:
> There used to be a ProbeLocationOverTime filter in Paraview 3.2.1 that
> could produce an XY plot of a variable value at a selected location
> versus time, but this is gone in the development version of Paraview
> 3.3.0.  Is there a simple way to reproduce this capability in 3.3.0?
> (I recall that the ProbeLocationOverTime was very, very slow because
> ParaView would try to render the data for the entire domain and each
> frame in the time sequence, instead of just reading and storing the
> single data value at the selected location from each time dump.)
The filter is now called "Plot Selection over time". Go to
"View | Selection Inspector" and create a new selection with "Selection
Type": "Location" to create a location based selection. Then, create
"Plot Selection over time" and copy the active selection to it.

> What I *actually* want to do is slightly more complicated than this.  I
> need to plot the radial displacement of a selected point along a tube
> from its original position as a function of time.  The radial position
> is not a field variable, but rather can be computed from the location in
> the YZ plane.  (The X axis runs along the cylindrical tube in my
> geometry.)  So is there a way to do a time series of each frame versus
> frame 0, select a particular point in the mesh, and produce an XY plot
> of the difference in radial position versus time?
One possibility is apply the Calculator to the output of the "Plot
Selection Over Time" filter. However, you'll have to hard code the
position at time 0 in the equation for the calculator to compute the
displacement.

Utkarsh