[Paraview] Paraview ( MPICH, OpenMPI or LAM/MPI )

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 14 10:33:22 EST 2008

Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> Cally wrote:
>> a) I have configured LAM/MPI, but am having problem with the
>> MPI_INCLUDE_PATH and MPI_LIBRARY  not found. I have installed it into
>> my home directory, and I am not root.
>
> If they are not found that only means they were not in one of the
> standard places that cmake checks. I doubt it checks your home
> directory. So just set those values manually with ccmake or cmake -i.
>
>> b) Should I just switch to OpenMPI, also.. ( how does it make a
>> difference to the installation of Paraview ), Any notes or tutorial I
>> can read, i have tried searching the net but there is not much.
>
> I think ParaView will work with any MPI library. The important question
> is which version of MPI works best on your hardware? That is, which
> produces the fastest results without errors or failures.
>
>> c) do I really need an extra mpi library or is MPICH good enough.
>
> Use only one, whichever works best.

Kent answered your questions well enough.  However, I suspect question
"c" may result from a misunderstanding of MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY.  This does
not mean an entire extra MPI implementation.  Like Kent says, just pick
one, either LAM or OpenMPI.  Use the full path of the main library file
(e.g., libmpi.so) for MPI_LIBRARY.  If your chosen MPI implementation
has other libraries that require inclusion, then add those to
MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY.