No subject

Mon Dec 15 09:51:36 EST 2008

the XDMF data model =A0at this time that will allow paraview to read in<br>
overlapping blocks and really make use of the ghost cells correctly. For no=
w<br>
truncating our output to only &quot;owned&quot; elements will solve our pro=
blems.<br>
Thanks again for the help.<br>
Chris<br>
On Mar 30, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Chris Kees wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Thanks for =A0the help. I also tried suggestions from Paul, Ken, and Berk,<=
br>
but it does seem that I&#39;m stuck right now unless I provide ParaView wit=
h<br>
more information. Since streamlines are computed correctly on the current<b=
r>
multiblock mesh I just generated the mesh on a single processor and used<br=

ExtractSurface-&gt;Clip on that mesh to visualize the geometry around the<b=
r>
streamlines from the multiblock grid.<br>
On the first method: Each of my UnstructuredGrids in the Multiblock Grid<br=

is a subdomain in an overlapping decomposition of the domain. Each of the<b=
r>
subdomains has several elements of overlap (the layer of ghost cells is mor=
e<br>
than one element thick). =A0Presumably the streamline generation works now =
on<br>
the multiblock grid because the overlap is loaded into ParaView. Is there a=
way I can just set a cell-centered attributed to identify the ghost cells s=
o<br>
that surface extraction and volume visualization will work too? =A0Currentl=
y<br>
volume visualization of the multiblock grid shows only a single subdomain<b=
r>
and volume visualization after MergeBlocks shows the whole domain but with<=
br>
overlap regions being more opaque.<br>
On your other method, we have both the external boundary mesh and a<br>
pre-mesh polygonal representation of the boundaries available in the<br>
simulator. You are suggesting that I just dump one of those to a valid<br>
ParaView format as well, is that correct?<br>
Chris<br>
On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Jean Favre wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Chris Kees wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
So far I&#39;ve tried MergeBlocks-&gt;ExtractSurface-&gt;FeatureEdges-&gt;C=
lip and<br>
various permutations that I&#39;ve seen in previous posts and the wiki,<br>
but I always end up with the =A0surfaces on the interior of the tank as<br>
if it still sees each subdomain as a closed surface.<br>
In fact, it seems to me that ParaView does the best it can. Your<br>
unstructured mesh is partitioned in 512 pieces and [presumably], you did<br=

not specify ghost-cells at the partition boundaries. Without<br>
ghost-cells, ParaView has no information to help decide whether an<br>
outside face looks towards the outside world, or to another partition. I<br=

don&#39;t think any combination of filters would help you. Removing<br>
duplicate points may only remove duplicate fake boundaries, but these<br>
fake boundaries must be removed all together.<br>
I use two methods to achieve what you want. Ghost-cells, or another<br>
multi-piece object containing the different boundary types (solid,<br>
symmetries, inflow, outflow, etc) stored as vtkPolyData. These are read<br>
in from the models on disk.<br>
Jean --<br>
Swiss National Supercomputing Center<br>