[Paraview] Paraview/Kitware site down

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Dec 18 09:57:16 EST 2008

> We actually have an internal git that tracks the ParaView cvs. Some us
> (including me) has been using it for a while now.  It is not totally
> issue free (mostly due to the cvs-git bridge) so we don't plan to make
> it public. I suspect that we will move to svn at one point and
> possibly provide a git repository that tracks it so that people can do
> the initial clone. After that, git-svn works very well. We don't have
> any plans to completely move to git as it is not as Windows friendly
> as we would like. All Windows ports of git require the installation of
> some sort of Unix-like layer and are also very slow.

Since the main participants
(http://www.paraview.org/paraview/project/parti.html) decide what or
what does not come into Paraview, it is essentially irrelevant what the
central "blessed repo" uses for its versioning (cvs, svn, git).

There are primarily two issues of interest to the end-users:
1) an independent mirror (read-only is fine), to help reduce the single
point of failure issues.
2) an (additional) git view of the repository (read-only is also fine),
since it permits the end-user much better control over local
modifications, synchronizing between various places (eg, work, home,
laptop) and network independent commits. Git also conveniently permits
an http transport protocol, which is a godsend for people sitting behind
a corporate firewall that also blocks cvs, svn and ssh ports.

Using the git-svn layer sounds like a great solution for Paraview & Co.,
since you can service windows needs, but still let others work with git.

It might be impolite to ask about a timeline, but I will the previous
thread (http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg10880.html) is
close to a year ago.

/mark
message from your computer.