[Paraview] How to visualize multipart/multiblock models

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Dec 18 09:22:58 EST 2008

Hi Marco,

Which version of ParaView are you using? In 3.4, you can create a vtm
file that points to the individual vtu files. You can then color the
blocks separately using the vtkCompositeIndex array (just color by
it). You can control the color of each block by editing the color map.
Alternatively, you can add a cell-centered, 3 component, unsigned char
array (RGB) for each block to the file and then color by that array
(make sure to turn off the Map Scalar option).

As for turning on/off individual block, I am afraid you have to use
the Extract Block filter to achieve that. I hope that we will have
that option in the Display page in the future but it is not currently
supported.

What I described here should also work with Xdmf.

-berk