[Paraview] Visualising time-dependent field and time-dependent scalars at the same time

Daniele Avitabile d.avitabile at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 07:13:54 EST 2008

Hi everybody,

I have a time-dependent field u(x,y,z,t) and two scalars s1(t), s2(t). At
the time being, for each time frame I have a separate .vtk file

u(x,y,z,t0) -> step_0000.vtk
u(x,y,z,t1) -> step_0001.vtk
u(x,y,z,t2) -> step_0002.vtk
etc.

whereas the corresponding scalar quantities are stored synchronously in a
single column-formatted file
s1(t0)   s2(t0)
s1(t1)   s2(t1)
s1(t2)   s2(t2)
etc.

I usually visualise the .vtk file and animate u. Since s1(t) and s2(t) are
influencing the overall dynamics, I wold need to looad and visualise s1 and
s2 at the same time, possibly animate them synchronously.

What is the best way to achieve this? If you have any smart suggestions as
to how store s1(t) and s2(t) within the .vtk file I would be grateful.
Please note that s1 and s2 are *not* probation points of the field u, but
they are totally diferent quantities.

Best.

Daniele