[Paraview] hyperstreamline visualization

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 07:08:49 EST 2008

I'm really sorry, I miss a key on my keyboard, and there was it, the mail
already left...

So, I wanted first pointing out a possible interesting feature: having two
buttons when dealing with plug-ins:

- "select" having the functionality of the current "load" one: selection of
an XML file
- a "load" or "apply" button to confirm the selection of the XML file and
maybe achieving some controls:
                       - is the file empty?
                       - does it start with the <ServerManagerConfiguration>
tag?
                       - and so on... (well, the standard controls that
allow the use of an XML file I guess...)

Then, here is my main question: I'm not sure at all the loading worked
correctly:
Where am I supposed to find the loaded filter to apply it on an example?

I went in the *Filter* tab and I couldn't see it anywhere...

(see attached picture)

I am of course not interest in the vtkCellDerivatives lcass: I know that it
is availabe with the filter "Compute Derivatives".
It is just a test.

Could you point me out where is the mistake?

I have to say that I didn't use any GUI XML, as it is said being "optional"
in the page:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo#Enabling_a_filter_in_VTK

In addition, just for information: where does the name displayed in the *
Filter* tab comes from?
Is it the value of the "SourceProxy" tag \"name" attribute?
In this case, are we forced to prepend "vtk" from the vtk class name to
obtain it?
It would indeed mean that we cannot have blank in the name.

Concerning the wiki, I have also few questions.

- First, once I have this working for HyperStreamLine, I guess that it may
interest other users.
Wouldn't it be interesting to have a section in the wiki where users could
drop validated server manager configuration files for VTK classes that could
then be downloaded by others?

- Finally, I found the old page:
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ExtendingParaView#Enable_Existing_VTK_Class
more detailed than the new one.