[Paraview] How to visualize multipart/multiblock models

M. Nawijn nawijn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:12:35 EST 2008

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to subdivide a structural analysis model in
several parts in such a way that I can post-process the results in Paraview.
The primary objective for me is to be able to hide and show different parts
of the structure. The model itself is not too large (say 50.000 cells). A
bonus for me would be that I can assign a different color (or different
properties in general) to each of the parts.

I have tried a few things with Paraview:
    1. Create a set of individual .VTU files and combine them in a .PVD
file. This works very nice for building result sequences of the complete
model.
    2. Create a set of individual .VTU files and combine them in a .PVM
file. This works in the sense that I can import a complete model build up
from several pieces, but I cannot assign colors to each of the parts and are
unable to hide and show individual parts (tried by using the "extract
datasets" filter).
    3. Create a XDMF XML file with 2 GRID elements in a single domain. This
again allows me to import the model and show hide individual parts. I can
still assign only 1 color to the complete model.

Is subdivision into multiple showable/hideable parts, including individual
color assignment, possible with either XDMF or VTK XML files?
If so, can someone post a minimal example?

Kind regards,

Marco