[Paraview] Mesa/Offscreen Rendering

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Aug 26 16:33:09 EDT 2008

On 26, Aug 2008 09:58 PM, Rick Angelini(CISD/CIV) <angel at arl.army.mil>
wrote:

>When I fire up pvserver and connect back to the client, and load up
>some
>geometry (max'd out sphere, for instance), I get a number of X-windows
>errors on the server side, like it's trying to connect back to my
>display.
>
>Process id: 3 >> ERROR: In
>/build/src/ParaView-08.25.08/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>line 1478
>vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0xb62160): bad X server connection.
>DISPLAY=hpc-cluster-l7:10.0

I ran pvbatch everyday on a parallel server without graphics and I can
confirm it works fine. My trick was to comment out line 1478 of the file
above. It does not complain anymore and it runs just fine.

 //vtkErrorMacro(<< "bad X server connection. DISPLAY=" <<
vtksys::SystemTools::GetEnv("DISPLAY") << "\n");

sounds like a candidate for cleanup before a 3.4 official release...

--
Jean
Swiss National Supercomputing Center