[Paraview] Buiding Paraview 3.2.3 with openmpi 1.2.6

Bruce Pennypacker bruce.pennypacker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:05:32 EDT 2008

Hi all,

We have a cluster running 64-bit RedHat 5, and I'm trying to set up
ParaView on it.  I first ran ccmake without specifying any MPI
parameters (other than PARAVIEW_USE_MPI OFF) and it built without any
problems. I then deleted by build directory to ensure a clean build
and set up ccmake using the following:

 BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
 CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
 CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /opt/paraview/3.2.3
 MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY                /usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.6/lib64/libmpi_cxx.so
 MPI_INCLUDE_PATH                 /usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.6/include
 MPI_LIBRARY                      /usr/mpi/gcc/openmpi-1.2.6/lib64/libmpi.so
 PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI            ON
 PARAVIEW_DATA_ROOT               PARAVIEW_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
 PARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON           ON
 PARAVIEW_USE_MPI                 ON
 QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE              /usr/lib64/qt4/bin/qmake
 VTK_NO_PYTHON_THREADS            OFF
 VTK_USE_BOOST                    OFF
 VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER           OFF
 VTK_USE_METAIO                   ON
 VTK_USE_RPATH                    OFF
 VTK_USE_VIEWS                    ON

After generating the makefile and running make it gets about 80% of
the way through the build and then it dies with the following error:

/home/brucep/paraview-bin/bin/vtkSMExtractDocumentation-real: error
while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [Documentation/ParaViewSources.html] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Servers/ServerManager/CMakeFiles/HTMLDocumentation.dir/all]
Error 2

Why is it complaining that it can't find libmpi_cxx.so.0 when I have
the full path to it specified in MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY?  I've
triple-checked that the path is correct. but I always get errors that
it can't be found.

-Bruce