[Paraview] Vis template by changing reader file names?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Aug 25 15:22:48 EDT 2008

Hey All,

My group wants to use ParaView for debugging their simulation system,
where they might output many different files in a day with tweaked
parameters and want to quickly view the results to see whether things
are changing the way they expect.

The problem is that for each run there are three different output
(unstructured grid) files, and to make a nice visualization each has
to be glyphed or colored or filtered in some special way. I can do
this, and it looks great, but it takes a while to set up each time a
new set of files is generated, so it's a bit of a pain.

Therefore, main question: Once a visualization pipeline is set up, is
there any easy way to pick new files for the readers so new data could
quickly be visualized using an existing "template"?

I have tried reading in new files and using the "Change Input..." menu
item, but it's a bit of a pain because it's a multi-step method that
changes the order of items in the Pipeline Browser each time you do
it. I know how to save a state file and then edit the source file
names for the readers, but this takes the user out of ParaView and is
a little clunky, but do-able. I can also write a python script that
loads a state file and changes the input files and creates an
animation automatically, but that isn't as flexible as looking at the
data in ParaView itself. (I also tried to change a source file name
from the Python shell within ParaView, but at least with an Xdmf file,
that always crashes ParaView when I'm driving...)

Am I missing something clean and easy? Is this a typical thing people
would want to routinely do with ParaView?

Thanks,
-Eric