[Paraview] Building a filter fails on CVS Paraview

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 19 14:42:15 EDT 2008

> I've built Paraview from last Wednesday's CVS and the CVS from the
> Thursday before that.  On the Mac I get a linker error:  Undefined
> Symbols:  "vtkIntantiatorvtkDistanceFilterNew()", refrerenced from:
> __Z35vtkInstantiaqtorvtkDistanceFilterNewv$non_lazy_ptr in
> vtkSMDistanceFilterInstantiator.cxx.o

vtkDistanceFilter?  I don't see that in my source list.  Do you have a modified source build?

At any rate, I would try doing a clean build.  Run CMake from scratch to an empty binary directory and build everything over again.  I find that often solves problems of this nature.

> I can't build the CVS of ParaView on Windows because I don't have 4.3.x of
> QT and IIRC TrollTech's downloads for Windows go back as far as 4.4.0 of
> QT.

You can get previous version of Qt from this Trolltech ftp site:

  ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/

There is a link on the Qt download page, but it is easy to miss.

Also, you could try to compile ParaView with Qt 4.4.0 by removing the check in the CMake files (ParaView3/CMakeLists.txt lines 91-95).  We discourage users from using the new early version so that we don't have to worry about issues with different version of Qt, but to my knowledge no one has found any problems.

-Ken