[Paraview] Reading C-ordered data from hdf5

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Aug 15 12:41:43 EDT 2008

VTK uses Fortran ordering for structured datasets (vtkImageData,
vtkStructuredPoints, vtkStructuredGrid, vtkRectilinearGrid and
vtkUniformGrid). If (i, j, k) are the indices of a structured
datasets, arrays are stored such that i increases the fastest, then j,
then k. The tricky part is when you have arrays of multiple components
(for example vectors or tensors). You can treat a vector an array of
dimensions (3, Ni, Nj, Nk) where the component index increases the
fastest, then i, then j, then k. It would have been probably more
logical to use C ordering and store arrays as (Ni, Nj, Nk,
Ncomponents) but it is not done that way. I am guessing the original
developers of VTK like writing their loops like:

for (k=0; k<Nk; k++)
 for (j=0; j<Nj; j++)
  for (i=0; j<Ni; i++)
   for (comp=0; comp<Ncomponents; comp++)
     index = comp + i*Ncomponents + j*Ni*NComponents + k*Nj*Ni*NComponents

-berk