[Paraview] paraview3 wiki

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Mon Aug 11 04:49:24 EDT 2008

Hi Berk,

In this case I am using the ParaView reader module included as part of
the OpenFOAM distribution. The GUI has a number of provisions
(checkboxes) for altering the reader's behaviour that should ideally be
modifiable without requiring the reader to re-execute.

These are the switches
1. Include Sets
2. Include Zones
These two include cell/face/point sets/zones in the list of mesh parts
that can be selected. Once the OpenFOAM mesh is loaded, the zones
information is available and can be included in the list, depending on
whether the user considers it useful or just clutter. Displaying these
on the mesh-parts list leaves the reader output unaltered until the user
explicitly selects a particular set or zone.

3. Show Patch Names
Adds or removes a bunch of vtkTextActors to label the patch (boundary)
region. This can be useful for finding which boundary is where, but
otherwise clutters up the display. Does not affect the reader output.

4. Cache Mesh
Select if the OpenFOAM mesh information should be cached between
time-steps. This skips reading from disk for the geometry, but
unfortunately until the VTK time handling improves, we cannot exploit
this as much as desired. Does not affect the reader output.

Perhaps rather than a simple 'immediate' property, the checkboxes should
receive even more attributes. AFAIK it is currently not possible for the
reader to change the GUI defaults or values. With vtkDataArray, it is
possible to add a listener, but that causes the GUI state to change and
'Apply' lights up green.

A simple example of wishing to push integer information to the GUI:
In the EnSight reader, the modified version has the default ByteOrder as
"auto detect" (UNKNOWN byte-order). After the Ensight binary files have
been read, the byte-order is known and it could be nice to change the
GUI display to reflect this information.
However, the main motivation is the desire to add a local configuration
file that the reader could parse and dynamically set particular reader
defaults.

I added Utkarsh's suggestions as a note on issue 7314.

/mark

message from your computer.