[Paraview] need/share parallel 32-partitions data

Stephen Wornom stephen.wornom at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Aug 11 03:25:28 EDT 2008

Berk Geveci wrote:
> Ah, I misunderstood. You are running on 8 nodes and load a 32 piece
> dataset. What is the format?

I tested data from two independent sources.
1-legacy
2-xml binary data
both work for a 16-piece data set using 4, 8, and 16 processors.
neither works for a 32-piece data set for 4, 8 or 16 processors.
Therefore it seems that the number of pieces of data cannot exceed the
maximum number of allowed processors which seems to be 16.

The installation was from the source and not cvs. Thus cmake was used.
I found this with google

//Maximum number of processors available to run parallel applications.
// (see /home/mig/installed/vtkCVS/VTK/CMakeLists.txt for more
// info.)
VTK_MPI_MAX_NUMPROCS:STRING=1

//Flag used by mpi to specify the number of processes, the next
// option will be the number of processes. (see
/home/mig/installed/vtkCVS/VTK/CMakeLists.txt
// for more info.)
VTK_MPI_NUMPROC_FLAG:STRING=-np

But don't know to do with it once the installation has been made.
Stephen