[Paraview] Are there any standard benchmarks?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Aug 8 14:30:17 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I made a first pass at a benchmark script in ParaView. For now, it
creates a sphere and renders it using various settings - at 1M and 2M
polygons resolutions. It either prints the result or saves it as a
csv. To use it,

from the GUI, first connect to a server, then using the Python shell:

> from paraview import benchmark
> benchmark.run('results.csv')

from pvpython:

> from paraview import servermanager, benchmark
> servermanager.Connect() # change this to connect to a server if necessary
> benchmark.run('result.csv')

from pvbatch, either create a py file that has the above code or run
pvbatch as something like:

mpiexec -n 4 ./bin/pvbatch ./Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/benchmark.py

This will print out the results to stdout.

Please do run the benchmark and send us the results. We can post them
on the wiki.

-berk