[Paraview] Different Python startup error message

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Aug 6 21:54:29 EDT 2008

Hey John,

I need to do some more testing, but I may have gotten around that
'GetDocumentation' error:

First, I deleted the SPHProbePointOverTime from CSCS_SPH_Server.xml
(since I am trying to fix the Point Sprites problem first). Then, in
rendering.xml, <PointSpriteRepresentationProxy
name="PointSpriteRepresentation">, comment out the subproxy exposed
properties lines for ColorMode and ColorChannelArray, so it looks like
this:
       <SubProxy>
         <!--
           Mapper for high-res geometry.
         -->
         <Proxy name="Mapper"
                proxygroup="mappers"
                proxyname="PointSpriteMapper" />
         <ExposedProperties>
           <Property name="LookupTable" />
           <!-- <Property name="ColorMode" /> -->
           <Property name="MapScalars" />
           <Property name="ImmediateModeRendering" />
           <Property name="InterpolateScalarsBeforeMapping" />
           <Property name="UseLookupTableScalarRange" />
           <Property name="ClippingPlanes" />
           <Property name="NumberOfSubPieces" />

           <!-- <Property name="ColorChannelArray" /> -->
           <Property name="AlphaChannelArray" />
           <Property name="RadiusChannelArray" />

(Maybe the PointSpriteMapper doesn't have these properties to expose?)
This got me through the "from paraview import servermanager" stage
using pvpython. Then, to be able to load a saved meshless state file I
also needed to comment out the line in servermanager.py which Jean
Favre had trouble with (http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2008-May/008120.html
)

     rvname =
vtkSMRenderViewProxy.GetSuggestedRenderViewType(connection.ID)
     if rvname:
         # loader.SetRenderViewXMLName(rvname)
         pm = ProxyManager()
         pm.LoadState(filename, ActiveConnection.ID, loader)

After this I was able to load a state file which displayed points
using simple point sprites from Python and do a still frame render.
I'll try more testing tomorrow, but maybe this will allow me to do
batch animation rendering using the point sprites!

Talk to you later,
-Eric