[Paraview] time aware custom reader

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Aug 5 12:46:31 EDT 2008

> > It does not apply in this case, but you may be interested to know
> that there is a sister special property called TimeRange with a subtag
> TimeRangeInformationHelper that gets the time range.  This is
> important for readers (and other pipeline objects) that support a
> continuous range of time.  It's rare, but it happens.
> >
> >      <DoubleVectorProperty name="TimeRange" information_only="1">
> >        <TimeRangeInformationHelper/>
> >      </DoubleVectorProperty>

I don't know if it is related, I have noticed some strange interaction
between the time-selector at the top of the window and the slider in the
animation view.

In the EnSight reader RequestData() both
      outInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::TIME_STEPS(),
                   &uniqueTimeValues[0],
                   numTimeValues);
and
      outInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::TIME_RANGE(),
                   timeRange, 2);

are set. The interface has
  <DoubleVectorProperty name="TimestepValues" information_only="1">
but no
  <DoubleVectorProperty name="TimeRange" information_only="1">

I can use the animation slider control to examine transient data, but
while the time-selector at the top shows the current time, but it can't
always be used to index through the values. The behaviour seems to be
related to particular cases itself and if it has been opened with
--data=Ensight.case, or via File/Open. For the cases where it doesn't
work, it is quite reproducible.

Could this be somehow related to it not setting
vtkDataObject::DATA_TIME_STEPS() as David's email stated?
The only reader that does seem to be using this is the vtkXMLReader.

Regardless of that, I also noticed either a Qt/GUI bug or some
strangeness in the time handling.  Using the animation slider to scroll
through time works mostly okay, but using the time-selector causes the
slider itself to get out of sync. The current time reported within the
slider is correct, but the slider position is all wrong.
Furthermore, even with snap-to-timesteps, weird times are getting
selected. Eg, with the time steps (0 2.75803e-5 e3-5 6e-6) it tries to
snap to 2e-05.

If there has already been a bug report, I can also tack on some test
files.

/mark
message from your computer.