[Paraview] time aware custom reader

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 5 10:45:54 EDT 2008

In the server manager XML for the reader, you need to add the special property "TimestepValues" with the subtag TimeStepsInformationHelper.  The subtag will automatically populate the property with the time steps reported from the pipeline, and ParaView will in turn interpret the data as time steps.

      <DoubleVectorProperty name="TimestepValues"
                            repeatable="1"
                            information_only="1">
        <TimeStepsInformationHelper />
        <Documentation>
          This magic property sends time information to the animation
          panel.  ParaView will then automatically set up the animation to
          visit the time steps defined in the file.
        </Documentation>
      </DoubleVectorProperty>

It does not apply in this case, but you may be interested to know that there is a sister special property called TimeRange with a subtag TimeRangeInformationHelper that gets the time range.  This is important for readers (and other pipeline objects) that support a continuous range of time.  It's rare, but it happens.

     <DoubleVectorProperty name="TimeRange" information_only="1">
       <TimeRangeInformationHelper/>
     </DoubleVectorProperty>

-Ken