[Paraview] Questions about Paraview, renderserver and dataserver

Cally K kalpana0611 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 01:47:01 EDT 2008

*Hi, I would like to clarify some stuff about data server and render server*

* *

* *

*I plan to build paraview using this architecture :*

* *

*Dataserver = 2 node cluster machine, *

*a)      **Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz – 2GB RAM*

*b)      **Pentium 3 -256MB RAM*

*c) Hard disk*

* *

* *

*Renderserver = Quad Core Intel Xeon machine, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk*

* *

*Paraview Client = Intel Pentium Dual Core, 160 GB Hard disk, 2GB RAM*

* *

* *

*a)Umm, is this ok .. or should I reassemble them… any idea..  Cause I have
read that the render server should not consist of more nodes that the
dataserver.. but doesn't the memory matter also?*

* *

*b)I am using OpenMPI, do I need to install any batch scheduling program
..any suggestions.. *

* *

* *

*c) I have a 750,000 points * 53 timesteps to render. And I found this fact
on paraview wiki*

* *

1.         Sort first (collection): Small objects can be collected to the
first node and rendered locally. In this mode, the polygons are collected
only when the source generating them is modified. Although this collection
might take time, it is done only once and rendering is fast.

2.         Sort last (distributed rendering): In this mode, first, each
process renders their scene, then these scenes are composited using the
depth buffer. This is done every render. Although this is slower for smaller
datasets, it is the only scalable solution when the dataset become large

I don't really understand this thing, how does it apply to my data. I think
it falls under the 2nd option because the dataset is large.. but I will be
using only one quad core machine.. mentioned above

* *

* *

*Any help.. Could someone point out to me ..? Thanks*

* *