[Paraview] computer locks up while saving screenshot or animation

Julian Cummings cummings at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:07:05 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have experienced problems with my computer locking up and requiring a
hard restart while saving multiple screenshots or an animation with
ParaView.  I have a dual-core Opteron machine running Ubuntu 7.10 with a
Nvidia GeForce 6800 XTreme graphics card.  I have tried many different
versions of ParaView, including 2.x versions as well as the current CVS
development version, but they all give the same reproducible problem.  I
have built my ParaView installations with the ffmpeg encoder as
suggested in the instructions.  I have tried turning off the offscreen
rendering for screenshots option in the CVS development version of
ParaView as suggested in a previous post, but this does not help.  Has
anyone else experienced this sort of behavior before and/or have a
suggestion for this problem?

Thanks, Julian C.

Dr. Julian C. Cummings                       E-mail: cummings at cacr.caltech.edu
California Institute of Technology           Phone:  626-395-2543
1200 E. California Blvd., Mail Code 158-79   Fax:    626-584-5917
Pasadena, CA 91125                           Office: 125 Powell-Booth