[Paraview] Black render view with python & MPI build

Iain Bethune ibethune at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 05:40:12 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have build a number of different configurations (PV 3.2.1) and the
following ones work OK:

Paraview serial with python
Paraview with MPI without python (static libs)

But not

Paraview with MPI with python (shared libs).
Paraview with MPI withoutpython (shared libs).

In these cases I can run a server (one or many MPI tasks) and connect to it
OK.  It will read files, and run filters OK, but all I ever see is a black
render view.  The trigger for this appears to be any build where I set
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON and PARAVIEW_USE_MPI=ON.  I have tried MPI on, and
shared libs off and this works fine, but unfortunately if I want to build
with python I am forced into using shared libs.

There are no error messages logged on the client or server side as far as I
can see, just nothing appears in the render view except the XYZ axes (but
not the centre-of-rotation crosshairs).

Any ideas how to go about debugging this, or what I might be able to do to
work around this?

Cheers

- Iain

--
Iain Bethune
Applications Consultant, EPCC

Email: ibethune at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)131 650 5201/6555
Addr: 2404 JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.