[Paraview] opinion on new machine for visualization

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 7 10:27:09 EDT 2008

We use OpenMPI on our cluster, and a command that seems to work is the following:

  mpirun -bynode -np 4 /path/to/paraview -display localhost:0 :
     -np 4 /path/to/paraview -display localhost:1

The -bynode flag tells mpirun to assign processes in a round robin fashion.  The next part says that the first 4 processes should be launched as paraview with the display set to the first graphics card.  The colon (:) sets of the next partition of processors, another 4 instances of paraview with their display set to the second graphics card.

I don't know if other implementations of MPI such as mpich support the -bynode flag and the use of the : to specify different command lines for different blocks of processes, but I am sure that there is some convention for launching heterogeneous jobs.

-Ken