[Paraview] Programatically change "Map Scalars" and "Color By"

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:46:48 EDT 2008

Mike Jackson wrote:
> So either I am misunderstanding what is meant by "Map
> Scalars" or I really _do_ need it unchecked. With it "Checked" the
> colors do NOT match. With it "Unchecked" the colors that the user
> selects for their data does match what is displayed.

With it checked your data will pass through the color lookup table, what is called "mapping", hence the name. If the data is a vector its magnitude will be used. Only if your data is a vector of 3 unsigned bytes can the button be unchecked; then, the data is used directly as the color.

I often use a 2D elevation map derived from USGS data where the color at each point is stored as 3 unsigned bytes. Unchecking "Map Scalars" is required to see the desired colors.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center