[Paraview] Surface streamlines

Simone Crippa crippa at kth.se
Mon Oct 29 03:26:04 EDT 2007

Hi Bastil,

the software you are trying to use is still under development. Or let's
say that what you can download is a first step of a FastLIC filter for
Paraview. When the next step is going to come is uncertain.

Right now the filter can operate only on vtk unstructured grids. If the
unstructured dataset contains non-triangle elements, it should be able
to convert automatically other types to triangles. You can't specify an
input vector right now, you have to pass it a vtp file which includes a
"surface" grid and a surface-planar vector for each point of the grid,
i.e. skin friction for (viscous) RANS CFD results or surface velocity
for (inviscid) Euler CFD results.
How you extract this dataset from your data is up to you. Since I use
Paraview to postprocess my data, once I find a certain spot I want to
run LIC on, I extract the surface (vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter) from that
specific dataset and then save it as a vtp file (or as vtm if the
surface contains multiple parts). After that I run LIC from the commandline.

If you have further questions, please contact the original author,
Markus Ringlander (makkan at gmail.com) or maybe check the vtkusers
mailinglist for some of his comments. For copyright reasons I can't send
you his Master Thesis, but if you ask him, I think he can send it to you.

/Simone