[Paraview] Combining (parts of) filters to create a new one

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Oct 25 18:56:05 EDT 2007

Hi Sylvester.

ParaView 3 has a "Custom Filters" for this purpose. What they let you
do is choose a set of filters from the pipeline browser and roll them
all up into a macro that you can apply on other input data. To try it,
select the sub pipeline that you want to save as a macro in the
PipeLine Browser. Then go to Tools->Create Custom Filter. Enter in a
name for the macro and hit next. On the next dialogs, choose and name
the input, output and filter parameters from the filters in the sub
pipeline that you want to expose as properties in the macro. You can
save and import the macros that you create. The created and imported
macros show up in the Filters->Alphabetical menu under whatever names
you gave them.

Two issues:
1) Custom Filters are still buggy as of release 3.2.
2) Custom Filters only let you aggregate the features of the available
filters. If you can not do what you want with some combination of the
stock filters (or filters from plugins, or the python programmable
filter) and their settings, then you still have to write a new filter
at some point.

hth
Dave DeMarle