WG: [Paraview] VTU File Format wih raw Data

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Fri Oct 19 13:32:15 EDT 2007

The reader expects the offsets to be UInt8 but the program provides them
as Int32 (see file formats document). The reader ignores "the
type=Int32" in the file and reads them as UInt8 anyway. As a result it
thinks the first cell has over 2,000 points and complains that the
connectivity array is not long enough.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

Sören Freudiger wrote:
 > Hi
 > We really tried to do it. But it still doesn't work. And we cannot
find the problem.
 > It looks quite easy to me. But something  with the offsets must be
tricky.
 > Our ascii-vtu file works fine (without appended data).
 > But the appended version with "raw" data couldn't be opened.
 >
 > Attached there's a small program to show the problem.
 > It's very simple and justs buts one or two octants with some node
data into a vtu-file.
 > If we only have one cell it seems to work. It can be opened with
paraview 2.6.x and 3.x.
 > But the two cell version always ends with the error message:
 >
 > " ERROR: In
..\..\..\ParaView3\VTK\IO\vtkXMLUnstructuredDataReader.cxx, line 646
 > vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader (051948A0): Cannot read cell
connectivity from Cells in piece 0 because the "connectivity" array is
not long enough. "

 > But I cannot find an error at the connectivities (I just wrote it to
ASCII and the connectivity for each Oct was 8 and the datalength was
#cells*4(byte) ).