[Paraview] Paraview 3 in a cave

Thiebaut Mochel mochel at cecpv.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Oct 19 10:02:49 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm working at the CECPV (http://www-cecpv.u-strasbg.fr/rubrique3.html),
a small group at the mathematics  and computer science faculty of the
University of Strasbourg, France. The CECPV has a Workbench for
scientific visualization and for testing virtual reality applications.
I'm currently trying to use Parview on the Workbench, that is in cave
mode. The version I use is Parview 3.1, CVS branch ParaView-3-1-July,
with openmpi 1.2.4, all that on Fedora Core 4 with the latest updates.
We have three linux computers :
- hpc-g00, the console. It is connected to a CRT display,
- hpc-g01, connected to the first video projector which projects to the
top display of the workbench,
- hpc-g02, connected to the second video projector, which projects to
the bottom display of the workbench.

The default host file for openmpi contains :
hpc-g01 slots=1
hpc-g02 slots=1

The file /home/cecpv/paraview/geometry/cave.pvx contains :
<pvx>

  <Process Type="client">
  </Process>

  <Process Type="server">
           <Machine Name="hpc-g01"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0.0"
             LowerLeft="-1.0 -1.0 0.0"
             LowerRight="1.0 -1.0 0.0"
             UpperLeft="-1.0 1.0 0.0" />
           <Machine Name="hpc-g02"
             Environment="DISPLAY=:0.0"
             LowerLeft="-1.0 -1.5 1.0"
             LowerRight="1.0 -1.5 1.0"
             UpperLeft="-1.0 -1.0 0.0" />
  </Process>
</pvx>

I run on hpc-g00 :
mpirun -np 2 -x DISPLAY=:0.0 /usr/local/paraview31/bin/pvserver
/home/cecpv/paraview/geometry/cave.pvx

Then, also on hpc-g00 :
paraview --server=hpc-g01 /home/cecpv/paraview/geometry/cave.pvx

paraview starts, but on the top display of the workbench, I see the same
picture as in the console, and in the bottom display, half of the
picture. It seems it does only compositing, and ignores the cave mode
and coordinates completely.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who helps me to make that work.
Thiebaut.

  Thiebaut Mochel
  Engineer - CECPV
  Parc d'Innovation - Bd. Sébastien Brant