[Paraview] PV3 pvserver OSX Offscreen

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri Oct 5 17:54:55 EDT 2007

I've been trying to build ParaView3 pvserver on an Apple cluster for the
past few days.

As I understand it I have no access to the display hardware on the
compute nodes which is fine since I'm only interested in off screen
rendering anyway.

I've tried to link against both Mesa with OSMesa and the system
libraries.

When I link against Mesa 7.0.1 with OSMesa by running cmake with "-D
OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/home/ohu0210/Mesa-7.0.1/include" and such, I
get link errors:
	Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libvtkRendering.dylib
	ld: Undefined symbols:
	_aglChoosePixelFormat
	_aglCreateContext
What needs these? Are these defined in AGL?

When I instead let cmake find the system libraries:
	OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
	OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
	OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework
ParaView builds fine but crashes when I try to render something large
enough to require rendering on the server (Remote Render Threshold). I
get the error message:
	INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer.Signal:6
	info.si_errno:0(Unknown error: 0) si_code:0()

I ran pvserver with --use-offscreen-rendering but the comment in
ParaView3/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMRenderViewProxy.cxx line 1032:
	// Offscreen rendering is not functioning properly on the mac.
  	// Do not use it.
gives me little hope.