[Paraview] reverse connection

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Mon Nov 26 10:53:09 EST 2007

On 26, Nov 2007 04:28 PM, Weiguang Guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

>(2) Then, I tried reverse connection, and it FAILED:
>"paraview" on A; then "pvserver -rc -ch=A" on B
>or
>"paraview" on B; then "pvserver -rc -ch=B" on A

here is what you should have. in your home directory, check the file
~/.config/ParaView/servers.pvsc

this file gets created after you configure your servers from within
paraview. You can also edit it by hand if you want to do the same config
for many nodes.

this is one possible configuration of your host for default connection

 <Server name="B" resource="cs://B"> <ManualStartup/> </Server>

this is one for reverse connection

 <Server name="Brc" resource="csrc://B:11111"> <ManualStartup/>

with this given "manual startup connection", you may

1) start the server on B waiting for A (command pvserver), then run the
paraview client on A (paraview --server=B)

or

2) start the paraview client on A, waiting for B like this:  paraview
--server=Brc
and from B, give the command: pvserver -rc

I just tried that on our server and got connected without problems.
Starting the X server on your paraview server node(s)  is left as an
exercise.

JeanF