[Paraview] Opacity problem with Paraview 3.1/3.2

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Nov 2 17:49:19 EDT 2007

Hi Tom,

I don't think bug 2347 is causing what you are observing. The whole
opacity thing is a long story but I will try to summarize it:

1) OpenGL requires polygons to be rendered in a sorted order (back to
front, http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq/technical/transparency.htm)
for correct transparency

2) By default, VTK does not render polygons in a sorted order because
sorting has to be done for each camera position and is potentially
very expensive for large models

3) VTK supports an algorithm called depth peeling
(http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Depth_Peeling) to deal with this issue.
This algorithm works fairly well for many cases

4) Depth peeling requires certain extensions that are not available on
all graphic cards

5) Transparency would work well if your card supports all extensions
listed here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Depth_Peeling. I believe the
latest version of Mesa also works.

You have a high-end nVidia and depth peeling should work on it. I will
see if we can figure out why it is not working. I have a colleague
with a 8 series card.

-berk