[Paraview] parallel rendering quick question

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Jul 13 11:58:34 EDT 2007

No, it does not.  You will have to get your local (to each server
process) X connections running if you want hardware acceleration.  To
allow the server processes to open the displays, make sure you do all
the following:

1. Have xdm run on each cluster node at startup.
2. Disable all security on the X server.  That is, allow any process to
open a window on the x server without having to log in.
3. Make sure each process is run with the DISPLAY environment set to
"localhost:0" (or just ":0").

To enable the last condition, it is often helpful to use the env program
in the mpirun call.  So you would have something like

mpirun -np 12 /bin/env DISPLAY=localhost:0 ./pvserver

An easy way to test your setup is to use the glxgears program.  Unlike
pvserver, it will quickly tell you if it cannot connect to the local
server.

mpirun -np 12 /bin/env DISPLAY=localhost:0 /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears

-Ken