[Paraview] Standard OpenFile Dialogs

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Jul 13 09:39:24 EDT 2007

Jens,

The ParaView 3 development team deliberated heavily over whether to use
the native file dialog box.  Ultimately we decided to use our own file
dialog box.  Part of the reason is to maintain consistency when browsing
local files and when browsing remote files in client/server mode (in
which case there is no native file dialog box available).  But the major
reason for using our own is to be able to resolve file names before
displaying them.  For example, if you load a file that has extensions
that form part of a sequence (e.g. filename.00, filename.01,
filename.02, etc.) then the reader (typically) treats them as group of
files containing a single data set.  To help with the file browsing,
ParaView's browser will collect all the files in the sequence and show
them as a single file, which is logically how they will be read.  There
is no way to implement this using the native file dialog.

We have worked hard to mimic all the nice features of the Windows native
file dialog.  The ability to type in a directory is already there.  Just
type the directory in the "File name" line edit and hit enter.  That
works about the same as the Windows version.

If you feel there is something else important that is missing, feel free
to submit a bug.

-Ken