[Paraview] Help with ParaView External Modules

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:45:51 EDT 2007

Patrícia Sato wrote:
>  I´m trying to add a reader into ParaView - version 2.6, using the
> External Modules, but when I run CMake it shows an error message saying
> that it cannot find the source directory of the reader. The fact is that
> its source IS on the directory I pointed, as well as its
> ParaViewImport.cmake file.

The method I've used for 2.4 through 2.6.2 is to put all the files for a new
module into one directory (in the attached examples it is /whatever/Cloud). I
call this a "kit" and there can be many. Then, when I first run cmake, have it
read an initialization file

    cmake -CcompositeInit_partial.cmake <srctree>

which points to all the kits (see attachment). I added "_partial" because I've
removed references to other kits. Note that this file includes the path to the
kit, e.g., /whatever/Cloud. You could instead set these parameters using ccmake
but if its in a file you can more easily reuse the settings.

If you are adding more than one kit (I currently add 4) just edit the
initialization file to point to them all.

Next, look at a few things in the kit, i.e., your module's directory. You'll
need a file like cloudParaViewImport.cmake (attached) which include some
important file names.

Finally, the file that describes your module's GUI must include the path to the
file describing the server manager connection (see cloudGUI_partial.xml). It
seems like cmake already has this information but it apparently needs some help.

Hopefully something in all this will suggest some little change in your setup
that will get you going again.

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center