[Paraview] Best way to plot arrows on a subsample of data?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 5 16:51:39 EDT 2007

Jonathan,

It sounds like you want to sample an unstructured grid on a course
structured grid and then glyph that.  As far as I know, there is no
filter in ParaView that resamples an unstructured grid onto a structured
grid.  There are, however, at least a couple of filters in VTK that will
do so: vtkShepardMethod and vtkGaussianSplatter.  It's fairly
straightforward to make a plugin to ParaView that will make these
available under the Filters menu.  There are a couple of Wiki pages
outlining how to do this.

For ParaView 2: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Extend

For ParaView 3: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo

I can also think of a way to do this resampling by repetitively using
the Cut filter (called Slice in ParaView 3).  If you look at the
parameters of this filter, you see a section called "Cut Offset Values"
("Slice Offset Values" in PV3).  This allows you to make a series of
cuts at regular intervals along a vector.  When you use this option on a
3D solid mesh, you get a series of planes.  If you apply the filter
again with the slice planes along a different vector, you get a
collection of lines.  Apply the filter a third time along yet another
vector and you get a collection of points, upon which you can apply the
glyph filter.

-Ken