[Paraview] Problems is parallel visualization in ParaView2.6.X

Raashid Baig raashid.b at rediffmail.com
Wed Jul 4 04:10:50 EDT 2007

I am a newbie to parallel visualization and ParaView in general, I
have some doubts which are very fundamental.

I am using ParaView2.6.X and trying to do some performance analysis
and dataset limit of ParaView in general as a part of an academic
project. I want to see what are the gains in CPU & memory usage and
time required to render a particular dataset when ParaView is run in
parallel.

I have structured data-sets with point attributes in form of VTK
legacy files.  When I run paraview in stand-alone mode on a single
machine, I am able to draw 5 iso-surface for structured grid datasets
upto 5 million points. But when I put the same VTK legacy files on 3
different computers (all have ParaView 2.6.X installed, os is Ubuntu/Debian) and run ParaView through mpi in distributed stand alone mode (as described in the ParaView book) on these 3 machines, the performance decreases for the isosurface case. Not only does the time taken to render final image, cpu/memory usage increase, I am only able to visualize till 1 million grid points. After 1 million point the get an error (this particular error is for a dataset of 2 million) :

raashid at ged:~/src/cvs/paraview-unix/bin$ mpirun -np 3 -x DISPLAY=10.101.11.71:0.0 ./paraview
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /home/raashid/src/cvs/ParaView/VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx (266)
 vtkIdTypeArray (0xe041768): Unable to allocate 59135376 elements of size 4 bytes.
ErrorMessage end
One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return
0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.

PID 16283 failed on node n0 (10.101.11.71) due to signal 11.

Am I using the wrong file type, if yes what should I use ?
Is there some threshold limit I am voilating ?

I get the same error as above if I use a D3 filter before applying the
iso-contour.

Please help me with this problem, because I am in serious trouble.