[Paraview] Transparent surface and picture export problem

Milan Frank milan.frank at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:08:24 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am badly stucked with a hard to track problem. I am using Python
interface to ServerManager. I would like to ask the public if there is
someone else experiencing the same behavior.

The problem is:
I am using the vtkWindowToImageFilter object to get a screen shot of
the renderer. Since such a screen shot, the renderer is unable to plot
a scene with semi transparent objects anymore. It looks like the
renderer does not refresh the window content. There is no warning, no
exception. It somehow recovers, when the opacity is reset to one.

This problem seems to be hardware-dependent. I have tested the problem
on several machines. They are all running Windows XP. We are
experiencing the problem on nVidia graphics cards only. ATIs are fine.

OK - ATI Radeon X1800 Go
OK - ATI Radeon 9250
Err - nVidia GeForce 5300 Go
Err - nVidia Quadro Fx 1400 Go
Err - nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

I guess, it is vaguely related to this discussion.
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2006-November/004154.html

Where there any changes, in to code, related to this issue?

I have noticed that on nVidia cards we are not experiencing the fore
mentioned mottled surfaces. Unfortunately, the framerate is
significantly lower and we have this picture-export-bug. There is a
lot better framerate on the ATI cards and no problem with the export.
However, the transparent surface is mottled.

Any hints would be really appreciated,
Milan.