[Paraview] Matlab, VTK XML & Paraview

Craig Warren Craig.Warren at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 11:33:54 EST 2007

Hi folks,

I'm using Matlab to extract data from an EM simulator, write a VTK
XML file, and view the results in Paraview. I'm reading and writing
the data as UInt16. I want to write the data in the VTK file as
binary and so am using this form:

<AppendedData encoding=raw">
_NNNN...............
</AppendedData>

The problem is I keep receiving this message from Paraview.

# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /Users/kitware/
ParaViewReleaseRoot/paraview-2.4.4/VTK/IO/vtkXMLDataReader.cxx (478)
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0x85bd630): Cannot read point data array
"material" from PointData in piece 0.  The data array in the element
may be too short.
ErrorMessage end

I have better results using Float32 but the Data Range is reported
incorrectly when the VTK file is read in Paraview. This is being done
on a PowerPC machine (Apple Powerbook) so I've made sure I'm doing
everything in BigEndian.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Craig