[Paraview] Display List or Verlex Array

kmorel kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 2 11:24:02 EST 2007

In the past, we played a lot with the use of vertex arrays (and with the
more recent vertex buffer objects).  We found that they could sometimes
speed up rendering only in certain specific cases (namely that the polygon
data only has "point" data, not "cell" data).  Furthermore, to really get
good efficiency, you often had to copy data into new arrays with a slightly
different structure.

We have looked a lot at the rendering performance with recent versions of
VTK and nVidia drivers, and have found that building a display list is
almost always at least as fast, and usually faster, than trying to use
vertex arrays + vertex buffer objects.  You can enable the use of display
lists by unchecking the "Use immediate mode rendering" box under "3D View
Properties" -> "General" (it's shown when ParaView first starts up).

-Ken