[Paraview] InitializeTcl failed/no $DISPLAY environment variable errors (paraview on intel mac)

Jared Hawkins Jared.Hawkins at tufts.edu
Wed Feb 28 16:40:35 EST 2007

Paul,

My fault for not being more specific.  I am using an intel mac (10.4.8),
using a bash shell and the computer is local.

It looks like i hadnt set my DISPLAY env. variable.  When i typed in

/    echo $DISPLAY/

i was given an empty line (guessing that this wasnt set already).  I
went ahead an then set the variable to the local dispaly
/
    export DISPLAY=:0.0

/Then, i tried again to launch paraview.  This time, i was greeted with
a new error message.

    /Paraview error: InitializeTcl failed
    Tk_Init error: this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't connect to
display ":0.0"

/(i left /applicationcouldn't /as one word, since this is how the error
was displayed).

More info (compiled from previous posts).  I have tried running paraview
(2.6) from the precompiled binary.  I get the same message.  I have also
tried running paraview (2.6) on a powerpc (using the powerpc precompiled
binary).  Again, same error messages.

Any more ideas?

-jared