[Paraview] GPL and Paraview and Qt

Bonnie Smithson bonnie.smithson at otismed.com
Thu Feb 1 18:45:33 EST 2007

Hello,

I heard back from Trolltech today about Qt.  I told them that since I was
building a commercial, in-house application that I didn't need to get the
commercial version of Qt.  Anne (see below) disagreed with me.  She said
that in-house, or out of house doesn't matter.  It is whether or not we
would post the source to our changes back to the open source community.

Can someone please clarify the implications of GPL?  If I extend Paraview to
invoke our commercial applications via a custom .dll, I could make Paraview
extensions available, but I wouldn't make the custom .dll available.  Is
this complying with GPL?  We wouldn't be reselling the SW - only using it
in-house.

We will be adding enhancements to itkSnap and Paraview at least, if not vtk
and itk.  And we would be able to post those to the open source community as
long as we can have some custom .dlls which we don't share.

Do I understand this correctly?  If we did want to sell an app that depends
on vtk .dlls, other than keeping the copy left in place, am I free to do
this?

- Bonnie

  _____